At A Beautiful Childhood, our work is driven and guided by our values. We believe:
- That all children deserve to be treated with respect; given a voice in the home and in wider society; raised without shame, fear, punishment, or coercive control; and educated in a way which meets their unique emotional, social, physical and intellectual needs.
- That parenting can be a radical act, and that changing the way we raise and educate children has the powerful potential to shape and change society for the better.
- That all parenting is political, and that varying levels of privilege, challenges, and oppression intersect to create unique pressures which will be different for each family. Each family deserves to be treated with kindness, empathy, and respect.
- That until we dismantle the corrosive triangle of white supremacy, environmental destruction, and violent patriarchy, we will never create a society which is free and fair for all.
We are proud to call ourselves feminists.
We stand in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement.
We commit to…
When working with clients we commit to:
- Working with all clients – whether through online courses or in private coaching – in a way which is explicitly judgement-free.
- We are guided by Nonviolent Communication and work within a framework of Unconditional Positive Regard.
As a business we commit to:
- Taking a stand against all forms of oppression, including but not only ageism, sexism, all forms of violence against women and children, racism, homophobia, colonialism, and ableism.
- Actively learning and considering how the above forms of oppressions intersect.
- Fighting for environmental protection and climate justice, including doing what we can in our personal lives to lessen the impact of our footprints upon the planet.
- Deepening our understanding of the impact of white supremacy and doing the ongoing work to challenge our own implicit biases and show up as anti-racist in our daily lives.
- Taking diversity and inclusion into account in all of our work, including the books we read and the experts we learn from.
- Carrying out a social justice and environmental “stock take” at the end of each financial year, highlighting actions we need to improve upon in the following year and practical steps for how we will do so.
We believe in putting our money where our mouth is. A Beautiful Childhood supports the following organisations:
We are learning…
- We openly admit that we are still learning, and accept that we will make mistakes on our journey. We will not let the fear of sometimes getting things wrong stop us doing the right thing.
- We are always seeking to bring our actions fully in line with our values, and we are committed to doing our best even when we do not get things right.
- We are fully open to dialogue, and to listening to other perspectives and viewpoints.
The above was last reviewed on the 6th June 2020.